House Chronicles


Our house through the Ages...

Altstadt Hotel Weisse Taube Salzburg - Unser Haus im Wandel der Zeit

After Duke Theodo had founded the "Salt Fortress" on today’s Nonnberg, he realised that there was some land left at the bottom of the mountain which he then presented to Saint Rupert who in 700 AD built the monastery of St. Peter and St. Mary’s convent on the Nonnberg. These two institutions split the grounds on which many properties had been built by the monks and nuns. To protect the buildings from the floods of the river Salzach they also built a quay, then called "gehai", a term that later turned into "kai" and after which the adjacent area had been named.

The hotel Weisse Taube was built on St. Peter’s grounds in 1365 and was called "das Haus gegen der Tumber Spital" (the house next to the cathedral’s hospital). It was owned by Probst Peter von Dorenperch and later it belonged to Margaret Schawchsgawin, mother of the vicar of Gastein.

1369 it was bought by another clerical man called Martin. 1371 it went into possession of the monastery of St. Peter, 1393 to Ulrich der Zelber of Kaprun and 1405 to Bartholomaeus the carpenter. Many other owners followed: 1434 the Panderlerin, 1442 Chunrat, 1463 Alerius Goldschmied, 1468 Martin Pandler and Elspet, his sister, 1473 Lukas Zeyringer and 1481 Stempfer, both citizens fo Salzburg - 1491 the house was bought by the tailor’s city guild and they remained the landlords until 1809.

On December 23rd, 1809 the surgeon Joseph Reisenberger bought the place at an auction and he opened it to the public as " Gasthaus zum Goldenen Frieden". From 1858 on it again had many different owners: Johann Trauner, 1874 Johann Meindl, 1879 Josef and Maria Elsenwenger, 1890 Josef and Maria Pichler, 1894 Johann and Maria Pahl, 1903 Josef and Annna Baumann.

1904 the honoured citizen and council member of Salzburg Josef Haubner bought the inn. 1926 it was passed on to his son Heinrich and his wife Anna and then their son and daughter-in-law took over 1961 and completely renovated the building in 1964 as it had been badly damaged during the last years of World War 2.

In 1992 they founded a hotel company together with their daughter Doris and her husband Helmut Wollner.

In spring 2010 the family refurbished the reception and breakfast areas envisioning offering modern conveniences yet preserving the Old and Traditional.

 Since the 1st of January Mrs. Christe GMACHL is the owner of the Altstadthotel Weisse Taube.

Booking Enquiry